Thursday, September 23, 2010

"The Allegory of the Cave"

In Plato's "Allegory of the Cave", Socrates explains that learning is painful and it takes stages and time to understand.In Plato's story he describes them being at the cave there whole life with their hands and legs chained. Looking at the cave all day and not even be able to turn around to see what's behind you. He compares this to a PRISON-HOUSE. When all of a sudden a prisoner is let out and experiences what life is like outside. It's a whole new world to him..He's been at the cave his whole life staring at the wall in front of him, all he could see are shadows.Now he can see light and be able to see the sun.He doesn't know what to do.He can't comprehend with it.It takes time to understand what is life like outside for him.

                                              "My Place in the Cave"
If I  was in Socrates cave I would be walking out into the light and not be chained in the cave my whole life because I know what my goals are and what to do in order to accomplish them.I want to learn more and know more. I would keep pursuing my dream and not run away. I have to grow accustomed to the things outside my comfort zone..If I gave up long time ago I woudn't be here.Now that I'm in college I still want to continue my education and develop new skills along the way.There's always something new for you to learn. I wouldn't want to live in IGNORANCE.

2 comments:

  1. Blog Series Evaluation 1:

    This is a good first series of blogs. :-)

    For the next series, I would like for you to try to write longer, especially when we are summarizing and responding to readings (as in Blog 4). Even if you have to work on your blogs outside class, in the end the practice will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lorrick

    1. Yes. The main idea of the paragraph is clearly and correctly stated.
    2. Yes. The important supporting ideas are fully stated correctly.
    3. Yes. Nearly all unimportant ideas are excluded.
    4. Yes. The summary is written with few grammar, spelling, and style errors.
    5. Yes. The summary retains the sense and organization of the original passage.
    6. No. There is no personal input.
    7. Yes. The summary is in the writer’s own words.


    Lorrick in response to your summary, I thought you captured the main idea points and also your supporting ideas were accurate and you kept a smooth chronological order in how you surmised the passage, but just a couple of suggestions would be to just spell check some your grammar next time, and to also next time you don’t necessarily have to go into detail about every action but just simply state the fact in a couple short phrases. All in all I thought it was a good summary.

    ReplyDelete